Outside of WeChat itself, Alipay is among the most popular and useful Chinese apps you could have. Not only can you use Alipay to make your life easier in China, but now you can also use Alipay in select countries and stores abroad as well! Here you can find out how to set up Alipay to get takeout, top up your phone, pay your bills, book travel tickets, and so much more!All you need is:
- Your passport,
- a phone number,
- and a Chinese bank account (registered under your Chinese phone number)
a foreign credit card
Setting up Alipay can be done in three easy steps:
How to Set Up Alipay with a Chinese Bank Card
Step 1: Set Up AlipayDownload the app from your preferred app store. Input your phone number. You will receive a verification code via text message. If you are prompted with a User Agreement, click “Accept” (同意).If your Alipay is in Chinese, you can switch it to English if you prefer. Simply go to 我的 (Me),then click on 通用 (General).Finally, select 多语言 (More Languages).
Step 2: Add a CardIn Alipay, go to the “Me” section. Select “Bank Cards” from the list of options.Click “Add bank card”.Input your bank card number.Input all the required information. Make sure you input your name exactly as it appears on your bank records!You will then receive a verification code via text message. You can then set your six-digit Alipay payment password.
Step 3: Go ShoppingThat’s it, you’re all done!
How to Set Up Alipay with an International Card
Step 1: Tour PassIf the Tour Pass option does not appear on your Alipay home screen, you can find it under “More” or simply search for it in the search bar.Open Tour Pass.
Step 2: Add a CardSelect the amount you wish to load (minimum 100RMB). Fill in the information. You will need to upload a photo of your passport information page for verification purposes.
Step 3: Go ShoppingThat’s it, you’re all done! You can now pay via QR code or mini-program (Methods 1, 2, and 4 under “Ways to Pay” below).
Important InformationNote that the Tour Pass is valid for 90 days, with a maximum of 2000RMB for the 90-day period.(At the time of writing, there have been unconfirmed reports of Tour Pass users who are able to load more than 2000RMB during the 90-day period. It is yet unknown if this is a new permanent feature of Tour Pass.)At the end of the 90-day period, any unused funds will be returned to your international card.The Tour Pass function does not allow transfers to friends (see Method 3 under “Ways to Pay” below).
Ways to Pay
1. Scan the QR CodeIf a vendor offers a payment QR for you to scan, simply open Alipay and click “Scan” at the top.
2. Payment CodeStores or restaurants will occasionally scan your payment QR code instead. To access this QR, click “Pay” at the top of your Alipay.
3. Transfer to a FriendClick on “Transfer”.Choose either “To Alipay Account” or “To Bank Card”. Enter the relevant information, set the amount you wish to send, and click “Confirm”.
4. In-app Mini-Programs
5. OnlineIf you have Alipay, it will automatically connect to Taobao. Download Taobao and input your phone number (use the same number you used for Alipay). You will get an authentication code via text message.After that, you are ready to shop, shop, shop! Your payment password for Taobao is the same as for Alipay.
Have any other questions on how to ease your transition to China? Leave us a comment!
Sign up for Chinese classes by scanning the QR code below
or sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Want more Chinese culture or Culture Yard news?
Scan the QR code below to follow our official WeChat account!